Physical Education and Sport
All pupils receive one lesson of core PE a week, which will develop pupils’ competence and confidence. Pupils will learn what makes effective performance and apply this to their own and others work.
- Pupils will focus on developing core skills and understanding the basic principles of a healthy active lifestyle
- Pupils will have the opportunity to take part in a variety of activities on a rotation basis including football, basketball, netball, tennis, cricket, softball, rugby, dance, gymnastics and a range of athletics activities
- Pupils will develop confidence and competence within a range of physical activities and identify the importance of leadership
- Pupils will have the opportunity to take part in a variety of activities on a rotation basis including football, basketball, netball, tennis, cricket, softball, rugby, trampolining and a range of athletics activities
- Outdoor activities including problem-solving and leadership development tasks
- Health related fitness
All Pupils receive one Physical Education lesson per week and can choose an option to study the subject further through selecting accreditation in either Edexcel BTEC Level 2 First Award in Sport or GCSE Physical Education.
Exam Board: Edexcel
Specification: BTEC Level 2 First Award in Sport 600/4779/3
Y9, 10 and 11 Core PE
- Pupils continue to be taught a range of activities using a variety of tactics and strategies to overcome opponents
- Emphasis is placed on the evaluation of performance and the development of building links with the outside community
- During this stage pupils will have the option to select specialist activities such as Yoga Fitness training and a Sports leaders’ qualification
Y9 and Y10 BTEC
- Pupils complete 8 units of work through a range of assignment briefs. The topics covered will include Fitness for Sport and Exercise, Practical Sports Performance and The Mind and Sports Performance.
- Learners will develop their people, communication, planning and team-working skills and develop links with the outside community and provide them with positive sporting experiences.
Exam Board: Edexcel
Specification: PE 2PE01
Y11 GCSE PE
- Pupils start the final year of the course completing their Analysis of Performance coursework, preparing and completing their final practical controlled assessment and cover topics in anatomy and physiology including muscles and bone classification and the cardiovascular and respiratory systems.